Knowing more about sleep, will enable you to sleep better. Sometimes a good nights sleep is a matter of just making some simple changes to your bedtime ritual, other times how you spend the day affects your sleeping patterns at night.
- Get plenty of exercise each day - Be sure to try to exercise about 6 hours before you go to bed to let your body cool down and relax to be able to go to sleep
- Make a daily routine for yourself-Go to bed at a regular time each night and get up at the same time every morning.
- Turn off the lights and television. A cool dark room is more conductive to a good nights sleep.
- Keep the bed for only sleeping and physical intimacy. Not reading, watching television, etc…
- Set aside worry time-If you keep a ‘journal’ of your thoughts or worries throughout the day it will give your mind the opportunity to rest at night when it is time to go to bed.
- Avoid stimulants- Nicotine is a stimulant, and avoid all caffeine at least 3-4 hours before bedtime.
- Avoid sleeping pills-sleeping pills can actually relax the bodies muscles more and make sleep apnea more severe in a person.
- Avoid alcohol before bedtime.
- Eliminate any noise or distractions while sleeping, sometimes a white noise machine will block out unwanted noises.
- Don’t stimulate the mind- If you are having trouble falling asleep; try reading the phone book not something that will interest you.
Please read through this site to obtain a better understanding of how PM Sleep Lab can help you obtain a lifetime of better sleep.
For more information on " The Healthy Habits of Good Sleep," go to AASM's Sleep Education Website at: www.sleepeducation.com/Hygiene.aspx